National Guard identifies fallen Eagle aviator.
(Photo by Tech Sergeant Anthony Mutti, 12 AUG 2011. Article by Steve Marshall, National Guard Bureau, 29 AUG 2014. Source.)
Massachusetts National Guard officials today identified the pilot of an F-15C Eagle jet that crashed in Virginia as Air Force Lt. Col. Morris “Moose” Fontenot Jr.
The veteran aviator was killed Aug. 27 when his aircraft crashed in remote, mountainous terrain near Deerfield Valley.
"We all continue to keep the Fontenot family in our thoughts and prayers during this very difficult time," said Col. James Keefe, commander of the 104th Fighter Wing based here.
Fontenot served with the 104th Fighter Wing as the full-time Wing Inspector General, responsible for the implementation of the Air Force Inspection System and as an F-15 instructor pilot with more than 2,300 flight hours. A 1996 Air Force Academy graduate, he was additionally a Weapons School Graduate with more than 17 years of F-15 flying experience. He served as a squadron commander at multiple locations.
Following active duty assignments in Washington D.C., Japan, Idaho, Florida, Alaska and numerous deployments to the Middle East, Fontenot joined the Massachusetts Air National Guard in February 2014. He was a decorated combat veteran, earning the Meritorious Service Medal, Air Medal, Aerial Achievement Medal, Air Force Commendation Medal, Air Force Achievement Medal, and Combat Readiness Medal, among others.
An official safety investigation board is being convened and the investigation into the crash is ongoing.
A massive search ensued following the Aug. 27 crash of the jet in dense forest. The search involved personnel from the National Guard, Virginia State Police and civilian searchers, some with dogs and others on horseback.
At approximately 9:05 a.m. Aug. 27, Washington Center Air Traffic Control in Washington, D.C., lost radio contact with the aircraft stationed at the 104th Fighter Wing, and at approximately 9:30 a.m. the wing learned that the aircraft had crashed in a remote site near Deerfield Valley, Virginia.
The single seat F-15C aircraft was en route to Naval Air Station New Orleans to receive a radar system upgrade. The flight was not related to the 104th Fighter Wing’s homeland defense mission, and there were no munitions on the aircraft during the flight, a National Guard news release said.
Fontenot was flying a solo mission when he reported an in-flight emergency prior to the loss of radio contact with Washington Center.
- ashi-2478 reblogged this from soldierporn
- mindfright likes this
- naiac likes this
- beautatoe reblogged this from fuckyeahusarmedforces
- beautatoe likes this
- guitarguykyle reblogged this from soldierporn
- guitarguykyle likes this
- exaustedbydesign likes this
- sanctus-ludovicus-cardinalium reblogged this from destruction-of-fears
- destruction-of-fears reblogged this from fuckyeahusarmedforces
- jarogoo reblogged this from soldierporn
- nikeschildren likes this
- heleadeth-me reblogged this from fuckyeahusarmedforces
- thymachoman likes this
- exospheric-pressure likes this
- ryanilahi likes this
- nathanielsteele reblogged this from soldierporn
- thatawesomeparadise reblogged this from fuckyeahusarmedforces
- hinukshines likes this
- gearboxhero reblogged this from fuckyeahusarmedforces
- gearboxhero likes this
- solownged likes this
- hapa-rae likes this
- yourshadowisfollowingyou likes this
- echo-of-glass likes this
- zachary421 reblogged this from militarymom
- zachary421 likes this
- militarymom4ever reblogged this from fuckyeahusarmedforces
- militarymom reblogged this from fuckyeahusarmedforces
- militarymom likes this
- vrijdom15 likes this
- fuckyeahusarmedforces reblogged this from soldierporn
- strong-as-right-itself reblogged this from soldierporn
- palmetto-64 reblogged this from soldierporn
- yamanchansan reblogged this from soldierporn
- yamanchansan likes this
- letustotheocean reblogged this from soldierporn
- mcantalope reblogged this from soldierporn
- tyty6 likes this
- britthetit reblogged this from soldierporn
- firelineridge likes this
- frenetique-evocation likes this
- americanwarrior5 likes this
- lightning-mc-queef reblogged this from soldierporn
- lightning-mc-queef likes this
- awkwardlycraft reblogged this from soldierporn
- jaime343 likes this
- soldierporn posted this