[BBC World News report, 16 September 2012. H/T Michael Yon.]
The killer of two British soldiers shot in Afghanistan on Saturday lured them to his side with a fake injury before firing on them, the BBC understands.
The troops, from 3rd Battalion The Yorkshire Regiment, died after the Afghan man - who was wearing a local police uniform - attacked them at a checkpoint in the south of Nahr-e Saraj, Helmand province.
It is not yet known whether the man was a real Afghan policeman.
The men’s families have been informed.
Spokesman Maj Laurence Roche said the regiment had suffered a “deep loss”.
He said: “Everyone serving within Task Force Helmand will want to send our condolences to the soldiers’ families and loved ones at this time.”
BBC defence correspondent Jonathan Beale says he understands the Afghan man responsible for the attack had first claimed to be wounded, prompting members of the British patrol to go to help him.
As the soldiers approached him, he shot and killed them. He was then killed in return fire, our correspondent says.
- posledniy-svet reblogged this from soldierporn
- posledniy-svet likes this
- hinukshines likes this
- dj-master-d reblogged this from soldierporn and added:
- yllwrbbns reblogged this from soldierporn
- greattperhaps reblogged this from soldierporn
- cruising-to-disaster reblogged this from soldierporn
- changingintosomethingold reblogged this from soldierporn
- geek-of-alltrades reblogged this from soldierporn
- soldierporn posted this