Sergeant Nathan Harris, in Hell & Back Again.
From the documentary’s official page:
From his embed with US Marines Echo Company in Afghanistan, photojournalist and filmmaker Danfung Dennis reveals the devastating impact a Taliban machine-gun bullet has on the life of 25-year-old Sergeant Nathan Harris. The film seamlessly transitions from stunning war reportage to an intimate, visceral portrait of one man’s personal struggle at home in North Carolina, where Harris confronts the physical and emotional difficulties of re-adjusting to civilian life with the love and support of his wife, Ashley. Masterfully contrasting the intensity of the frontline with the unsettling normalcy of home, HELL AND BACK AGAIN lays bare the true cost of war.
In 2009, U.S. Marines launched a major helicopter assault on a Taliban stronghold in southern Afghanistan. Within hours of being dropped deep behind enemy lines, 25-year-old Sergeant Nathan Harris’s unit (US Marines Echo Company, 2nd Battalion, 8th Marine Regiment) is attacked from all sides. Cut off and surrounded, the Marines fight a ghostlike enemy and experience immense hostility from displaced villagers caught in the middle.
Embedded in Echo Company during the assault, photojournalist and filmmaker Danfung Dennis captures the frontline action with visceral immediacy. When Sergeant Harris returns home to North Carolina after a life-threatening injury in battle, the film evolves from a war exposé to the story of one man’s personal apocalypse. With the love and support of his wife, Ashley, Harris struggles to overcome the difficulties of transitioning back to civilian life.
In immense physical pain, Sergeant Harris grows addicted to his medication. His agony deepens as he attempts to reconcile the gulf between his experience of war and the terrifying normalcy of life at home. The two realities seamlessly intertwine to communicate both the extraordinary drama of war and, for a generation of soldiers, the no less shocking experience of returning home.
An unprecedented exploration of the moving image and a film of uncommon intimacy, HELL AND BACK AGAIN comes full circle as it lays bare the true cost of war.
- yallareabunchofspies reblogged this from thefewtheproudmarines
- thefewtheproudmarines reblogged this from 4foryoumikewazowski
- devil-dog-360 reblogged this from semperfialex
- omgianaaa reblogged this from pfc-arce
- leatherrebel likes this
- 4foryoumikewazowski reblogged this from semper-fi-centeno
- semperfialex reblogged this from devildogallen
- devildogallen reblogged this from pfc-arce
- devildogallen likes this
- pfc-arce reblogged this from semper-fi-centeno
- pfc-arce likes this
- semper-fi-centeno reblogged this from soldierporn
- semper-fi-centeno likes this
- hendobrianjordan reblogged this from soldierporn
- toolongdonotread reblogged this from soldierporn
- notallmcsareequal likes this
- deadkenndies reblogged this from soldierporn
- ikeepitninja reblogged this from soldierporn
- ikeepitninja likes this
- a-nice-change reblogged this from soldierporn
- soldierporn posted this